The American Journalism Historians Association seeks applications for its annual Joseph McKerns Research Grant Awards.
The research grant is intended to provide research assistance and to recognize and reward the winners. Up to four grants for up to $1,250 each will be rewarded upon review and recommendation of the Research Grant Committee. Grants may be used for travel or other research-related expenses, but not for salary.
Awardees must submit a brief article to the Intelligencer newsletter about their completed research by Sept. 1, 2021, discussing method, findings, complications and significance.
- All current AJHA full members with a minimum of three years' membership at the time of application are eligible.
- The research must be related to mass media history.
- Awardees are expected to continue their membership through the grant period.
- Members may apply for a McKerns Research Grant once every five years.
- Complete application form included with the Call For Proposals.
- A 1- to 3-page prospectus/overview of the project, including a budget (which should include a listing of amount and sources of other support, if appropriate), timelines, and expected outlets for the research.
- If appropriate, include Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval from the applicant's university.
- A shortened curriculum vita (no more than 3 pages).
Grant applications must be submitted via email to Research Grant Committee Chair Erin Coyle. Materials may be submitted as PDF files or Word documents by July 1, 2020.