The AJHA presidency transferred to Mike Conway (left) from Aimee Edmondson on Oct. 1 at the AJHA convention in Memphis. (Photo courtesy of Erika Pribanic-Smith)
American Journalism Historians Association leadership is set for the 2022-2023 year, which will culminate in our 42nd annual convention in Columbus, Ohio, next September.
Mike Conway (Indiana) has taken the gavel as AJHA president. Tracy Lucht (Iowa State) has ascended to first vice-president. Ken Ward (Pittsburg State) has taken over as treasurer. Erika Pribanic-Smith (Texas Arlington) continues as executive director.
Members of the AJHA have elected Debra van Tuyll (Augusta State, emerita) as second vice-president for 2022-2023; van Tuyll will then serve as first vice-president in 2023-2024 and president in 2024-2025.
Newly-elected board members serving three-year terms (2022-2025) are Tom Mascaro (Bowling Green, emeritus), Elisabeth Fondren (St. Johns), and Ashley Walter (Utah State). See the board page for the full Board of Directors, including continuing elected and ex-officio board members.
Aimee Edmondson (Ohio) has completed her term as president and will serve as an ex-officio board member, leading the Long-Range Planning Committee. The board also has confirmed the following new committee chairs: Julie Lane (Boise State, Public Relations), Pete Smith (Mississippi State, Blanchard Prize), and Willie Tubbs (West Florida, Service Awards). See the committee page for the full list of committee chairs, including those who are continuing.
Autumn Linford (Auburn) is resuming her Intelligencer editor/ex-officio board member position after a year away to complete her PhD. Web Editor Christina Littlefield (Pepperdine) will be assisting with the email newsletter.
The AJHA thanks the following outgoing officers, board members, and committee chairs for their service:
- Candi Carter Olson (Membership Chair, Utah State)
- Dale Cressman (ACEJMC Representative, Brigham Young)
- Carolyn Edy (Treasurer, Appalachian State)
- Teri Finneman (Board, Kansas)
- Michael Fuhlhage (Board, Wayne State)
- Julien Gorbach (Public Relations Chair, Hawaiʻi Mānoa)
- Gwyn Mellinger (Board, James Madison)
- Tom Mascaro (Service Awards Chair; Bowling Green, emeritus)
- Erika Pribanic-Smith (Interim Intelligencer Editor; Texas Arlington)
- Rich Shumate (Web Editor, JJCHC Co-Coordinator; Central Arkansas)
- Kimberly Wilmot Voss (History in the Curriculum Chair, Central Florida)
- Dale Zacher (Blanchard Prize Chair, St. Cloud State)
The AJHA welcomes volunteers to assist with our committees and other initiatives. If you are interested in helping AJHA in the coming year, please contact First Vice-President Tracy Lucht.